Celebrate Safely this Memorial Day
NEW YORK (May 2013) – Memorial Day is the unofficial start of the summer season where everyone embraces enjoyable outdoor celebrations, barbeques and other family festivities. The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is reminding parents and families with young children to take the necessary precautions to ensure their kids remain safe during all indoor and outdoor activities.
Groups of young children can cover a lot of ground while their parents are busy hosting and enjoying company, so be sure to take these safety measures into account to ensure no harm comes to your loved ones.
- Check window coverings such as blinds, drapes and shades to ensure that they do not have window cords that may pose a potential danger to children. WCSC urges parents to only use cordless window products in homes with young children.
- Keep barbeque equipment such as propane tanks, cooking utensils and grills away from children’s play areas, and out of their reach.
- Any play or swing sets that children may be using should be checked for proper installation, and be sure to follow all manufacturer instructions and guidelines for safety.
- Clear the yard of any dangerous hazards such as bee hives or broken branches that a young curious child could hurt themselves on.
- If children are playing inside, make sure stairwells are closed off and inaccessible to young children, so they do not hurt themselves running down them.
To learn more about window covering safety, visit WCSC’s website at www.windowcoverings.org. Free retrofit kits for older corded window coverings can be ordered on the website or by calling WCSC’s toll-free number at 1-800-506-4636.
The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is a coalition of major U.S. manufacturers, importers and retailers of window coverings. The Council assists and supports its members in the industry’s ongoing efforts to encourage the use of cordless products in homes with young children, its redesign of corded products, and to support the national ANSI/WCMA standard for the safety of corded window coverings. WCSC’s activities in no way constitute an assumption of any legal duty owed by its members or any other entity. Consumers having need to retrofit rather than replace their older window coverings can order free retrofit devices through WCSC’s website at www.windowcoverings.org or its toll-free phone line at 1-800-506-4636.