A New Year’s Resolution for Safety
NEW YORK, NY (January 2013) -With another New Year upon us, it’s time to make some resolutions. The New Year is a great time to start making positive changes in your life and in your home. Have you thought about making a commitment to safety?
As we embark on a new year, here are a few simple tips that will help keep your loved ones safe around the house, now and throughout the year ahead:
- Place space heaters, candles and other heat sources at least three feet away from a
potentially flammable material such as bedding, furniture and drapes.
- Keep hot liquids and foods out of the reach of children.
- Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary.
- Do not burn gift wrap, paper decorations or dry greenery in the fireplace. They could ignite
suddenly, resulting in a flash fire.
- Move all furniture, cribs, beds & climbable surfaces away from windows.
- Replace older window coverings with today’s safer, cordless products. The Window
Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is urging parents to only use cordless window products in homes with young children. Make the right choice and use cordless products to keep your children safe year-round. Consumers wishing to obtain additional information on window cord safety or order free retrofit kits can contact WCSC at www.windowcoverings.org or its toll-free phone line at 1-800-506-4636.
The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is a coalition of major U.S. manufacturers, importers and retailers of window coverings. The Council assists and supports its members in the industry’s ongoing efforts to encourage the use of cordless products in homes with young children, its redesign of corded products, and to support the national ANSI/WCMA standard for the safety of corded window coverings. WCSC’s activities in no way constitute an assumption of any legal duty owed by its members or any other entity. Consumers wishing to retrofit rather than replace their older window coverings can order free retrofit devices through WCSC’s website at www.windowcoverings.org or its toll-free phone line at 1-800-506-4636